Friday 23 October 2015

Perfection is OVERRATED


Perfectionism can be an amazing advantage but it can also be your downfall.

I used to want to be perfect. I used to look at celebrities and hate myself because I didn't look like them, because I wasn't as talented or simply because my life wasn't like theirs. 
I'm sure you can guess that I was very miserable. So miserable that it eventually ended up in an eating disorder that I'm still struggling with even today.
 

I won't go into long details, but I felt compelled to write this blog post as encouragement to anyone out there that might be feeling like they're not good enough. Too often do we pick ourselves apart and over criticize ourselves. Society has set its standards so high that they're pretty much unattainable.
 

Everyone has flaws. Those flaws are what help to add to our uniqueness. In fact, it's often that what we think our biggest flaw is, may be the thing that someone else really adores about us. That's why embracing them is important. Another important thing to realize is that not everyone's definition and interpretation of perfection is going to be the same. Which makes it even harder to be exactly that; perfect. 

I'm not saying that perfection is a bad thing. I just feel like instead of striving to be something that is pretty much impossible, we should strive to the best that we can be. Your most perfect self, if you want. People will probably disagree, but I think that striving for perfection in any aspect is basically setting ourselves up for failure. There are SO many people out there that are damn near to killing themselves to look like a distorted image of a celebrity that we see on TV. Kids getting bullied because they don't have the top name brand clothes or just don't fit into the other children's closed-minded idea of what's "normal".
 

At the end of the day, no one is perfect because perfection is an illusion. So if you feel like you need to be perfect, do it on your own terms. Be your own version of it. Not what someone else tells you it is. Be who you are. Own your flaws. Flaunt them. Don't apologize for being yourself. And don't ever be ashamed to be you because guess what? There's no one else on the planet that can do it better!


xx Micky 
SHARE:

25 comments

  1. U look so beautiful
    tajfunblog.blogspot.hr/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with what you are saying I use to struggle with an eating disorder also and it was the worst time but you just have to fight through! Btw you so remind me of kiko mizuhara here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true, it's just so hard sometimes..
      And wow thank you :O <3

      Delete
  3. Absolutely love your blog! Your blog is soooo damn good, you are perfection too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear that you still struggle with an eating disorder. I always wanted to be someone else when I was younger but today I'm happy to be me. I'm far from being perfect and frankly I don't want to be it. I couldn't agree more with you. Perfection is really overrated. I hope you will overcome your eating disorder soon.

    MIASMODE

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing post. Back when I was middle school, my friends would write down what we liked about each other and people would say they liked how "unique" I was. I hated it because I felt like they were just saying that because they had nothing else to say. But these days, I embrace what is unique about me.
    This is a wonderful post and a great message, thanks for sharing. I wish you nothing but the best ^^

    http://stressedbutkawaii.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being unique is a great thing indeed! :)
      I always thought there's nothing worse than fitting into the "mainstream" and being "average" - also, being average doesn't equal perfect and by not even being ourselves anymore what is there left of our personal perfection? Nothing...

      Delete
  6. I'm agree with what you are saying.

    http://alex-faashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think so, “perfection is an illusion.“
    But I forget it sometimes, then I spend money…
    I know that money can’t help me perfectly.
    Your article was noticed me most important things,
    Thank you, Micky♡

    akiko

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think we all forget about it sometimes, the struggle is real!
      I'm glad you've liked my post :)

      Delete
  8. Such a brilliant post! Everyone has their own, different interpretations of what is perfect.

    Vegetarian CourtesyCheesePapas

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you said, "No one is perfect because perfection is an illusion." Well said! I agree we all know that there will be someone better and what's the point to be a top class perfect person. It's not fun and we won't learn from mistakes because we're too perfect to even have any. ^__^

    Linxnee-Beauty, Fashion, Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just now, at 20 years old, I've started to love myself, to know this is my body and might as well love it than making me starve for something unattainable. It's the worst trying to be someone else when, clearly, that's just impossible. Each person is themselves, and if we will be here for a long time, might as well embrace our own flaws and perfections and just be happy with what was given to us: a life and a healthy body.

    ps: love your blog, so easy and relatable to read :)

    http://moibyines.blogspot.pt

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think everybody at any point of their lives, struggled with their own body image ou looks.. we just have to embrace our own body and be happy with it! :)
    But honestely you are beautiful!!

    Just found your blog and i already love it! :) xx

    http://nuancesbyritadias.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true! It's a long road to actually try to love yourself when you're really down but you just have to make the first step and start walking it!

      Delete
  12. no no no!!! it's always so toxic to look at celebrities because they're always photoshopped. I think you're perfect, and very very talented ~!

    xoxo,
    www.thefrugalblogger.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, it's so so hard to withstand the pressure of the media and society and I honestly draw my head to everyone who actually manages to be themselves without ever experiencing any doubts about themselves!
      Thank you so much & so are you! <3

      Delete
  13. Yeah... and the idea of "perfection" changes all the time. I remember when I was a teenager and those super thin eyebrows were considered perfect. My mom wouldn't let me pluck mine to be that thin... now, dominant brows seem to be on trend? It's just so important to be yourself, because at the end of the day you're stuck with yourself.

    http://aroseisinbloom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

© Princess.From.Jupiter. All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig